What progression in Pavilion currently looks like

What progression in Pavilion currently looks like

Hey @fzngagan,

There’s a fair amount of detail on how membership works in the How membership works topic, and that will continue to be the definitive guide to membership. This is a topic to discuss how we will be implementing that in practice at this stage in Pavilion’s development.

@Eli and @merefield, as you know, @fzngagan completed his first feature task yesterday, which meant he gained a bronze dev badge and is now a member of Pavilion :tada: (I’m going to add a new Group for all members soon, to signify membership).

https://thepavilion.io/t/custom-wizard-export-import-wizards/1215/27

@fzngagan We (i.e. @merefield, @Eli and I) had a chat about how best to go ahead from here and wanted to lay out our thoughts for you, so you know what the next steps will look like.

As you know, open source work is a central piece of Pavilion. We both believe in and support open source work, and it’s an important part of our paid business. A fair amount of paid work comes from changes to our open source plugins and themes.

The progression system laid out in How membership works is based on how I’ve been working with @merefield and @Eli for some time now. Both @merefield and @Eli participated in Discourse mentorship program I ran a few times. I mentored them in Discourse development and they worked on my open source plugins.

From that program @merefield went on to become the maintainer of the Topic List Previews plugin. @Eli worked on the Events Plugin and has been helping with the project management of a number of our open source plugins. This sharing of the work for, and maintenance of, open source plugins is how we all got to know each other.

For you, that means that next steps here are to get more deeply involved in our open source work. The best way to do that would be to focus in on one of our existing open source plugins with a view to becoming its maintainer.

Part of that is building trust. To pass over maintenance of a plugin to someone I want to know I can trust them. Another part is building up your skills. You’re coming to the table with a decent skillset already and you’re getting stuck into the dev side of things on Meta, which is great. Skills here, more means Discourse-specific skills.

From what I’ve seen so far, I get the sense that the Discourse-specific dev skills will come to you pretty quickly, but having experience dealing with multiple issues and feature requests from real users over a bit of time is how this is really tested.

In terms of how long you’ll need to work on open source plugin maintenance (bug reports and feature requests) before moving up to Sliver, and standard Client work, I’m thinking something in the order of 3 to 4 months. Maybe more, maybe less. This length of time is only partly to get your skills up to speed, it’s also to build trust and demonstrate consistency and promptness when dealing with feature requests and bug reports from plugin users.

As your ‘sponsor’ in Pavilion (i.e. the member who sponsored your membership), I’d be overseeing your work like I did with the Import / Export Custom Wizard feature. The key things I would be looking for would be

• progression in your technical understanding of Discourse, Rails and Ember
  • how you deal with users of the plugin
  • how you think through your work and how it sits in the larger context of Discourse

Ideally, I’d want you to get to a stage with the plugin you choose where you know more about the plugin than I do and have plans to improve it. Incidentally, what would really make me excited is if you wrote a test suite for one of our popular plugins ;).

In terms of the quantity and quality of the open source work you do during your time as a bronze dev, quality matters more. However what is even more important than both quality and quanity of work is consistency. To maintain open source work well you have to be consistent in how you deal with feature requests, bug reports and other work that matters to the users of the plugin. People have got to know there’s somone on the other end of the line.

So to summarise, next steps here are:

1. Choose one of our open source plugins to focus in on. Ideally a widely used popular one with existing bug reports and feature requests

2. Work on the bugs, new features, optimizations and other improvements to that plugin for the next 3 to 4 months under my supervision. At the same time, help us get to know and trust you.

3. At the end of that time we’ll assess where you’re at and hopefully move you up to Silver and loop you into some of our client work. Hopefully you’ll also become the maintainer of the plugin you choose to work on.

Let me know your thoughts!

2 Likes

Hey @angus,

I really enjoyed building that feature for CustomWizards plugin. Seeing my code work(even though it was a little feature) after reading and studying discourse for a month was a moment of joy. Getting it pulled on the repo was really satisfying.

I am still astonished by the amount of work you’ve put in Discouse looking at the plugins you’ve created and I really am proud and impressed by you for that.

I am excited and look forward to working with you guys(@angus, @merefield and @Eli ).

As for choosing the plugin, I think I liked the Custom Wizards and Events both, so You can put me on any one of them you feel right.

I think its a fair amount of time needed to get the confidence required.

I’ll do my best and live upto it.

I’ll do my best to get there.

These are some things I would like to ask about:

1. I need some suggestions about maintaining work life balance while working remotely (As I am doing it for the first time)

2. Can I use Pavilion’s name on my linkedIn.(Its not to make things official or something, its for a personal reason and I may not even need to do that).

3. Do you people work for Discourse full time? (The reason I ask that is I want to be able to do so)

Also, we could have google hangout chats or skype calls once in a while to get to know each other better. (just a thought)

2 Likes

Fantastic!

I’m glad you’re keen to get involved.

Ok, I think the plugin for you to focus on is the Events Plugin. It has a number of outstanding bugs and feature requests and needs more love than it’s currently getting from me. It’s also more of a “standard” plugin than the Custom Wizard plugin, which involves a seperate Ember app (i.e. the wizards) and a number of other quirks. I think the Events plugin will give you a lot of opportunities to learn the ins and outs of the Discourse codebase.

This is a great question. I’m going to start a new topic on it here in the #members category and will give you my tips there.

Yes you can! Your current title in our organisation is “Member”. So you could say “Member of Pavilion”. Helping our members build their professional credentials is an important part of what we’re trying to do.

I do, and @merefield is working up to it as well. @Eli does other work outside of Pavilion. The goal of Pavilion is to allow people to build their own work schedule that fits in with other parts of their life. Some people will work full time on this stuff, and there is enough work for that. Others will work part time.

There is of course a limit to how many people can be invovled in paid work, as there’s not unlimited work. Currently, demand (i.e. people looking wanting to hire people to work on their community) exceeds supply (i.e. people looking to work on people’s communities). Discourse is a popular community platform.

We are looking at expanding our service offerings outside of Discourse, to related platforms in the community space. These related platforms include:

• Wordpress
  • Open Source Learning Management Systems
  • Shopify (maybe)

We’re looking at this, partly from a market perspective (i.e. to diversify our market position), but also to expand our model of mixing robust open source involvement with a business model that empowers its workers. I say “maybe” for shopify, as it’s not an open source platform, so it doesn’t really fit within our model. That said, we’re currently looking at doing one project involving shopify.

Yes, @merefield, @Eli and I have regular video chats. I’ll set up a video chat with you, and maybe the other guys, in the next few weeks :+1:

Next steps

1. I’m going to loop you in on the Events Plugin work we currently have, i.e. current bugs and feature requests.

2. I’ll help you update the first post in the Events Plugin topic on meta.discourse.org. Partly to update the plugin description and make it easier for people to get to grips with, and partly to introduce you as one of the folks working on the plugin. We’ll use this as a template: Plugin topic template.

3. Getting to grips with the workflow. Responding to users of the plugin who post bug reports and feature requests on Meta, and triaging their work through the workflow on this site is an important part of learning how to manage the plugin. There is often a temptation to respond to and work on the most recent request, or to the most insistent user. Our workflow system, i.e. the bug report and feature request wizards and the #open-source category, is how we try and overcome this ‘recency’ bias and be methodical in our approach to open source work.

1 Like

Hi @fzngagan, nice to meet you and excited to work with you!

1 Like

@fzngagan I’ve started a topic explaining the open source workflow from a Member perspective to give you a sense of what’s going on:

1 Like

I checked that out. Also, thanks for creating issues and assigning me to them. I am working on the Plugin description now.