Virtual Meetup #1

Virtual Meetup #1

@merefield @Eli @fzngagan Hey guys, I’d like to have our first virtual “Member Meetup” where we’ll discuss the “everyday” aspects of the things we’ve been working on.

This call will be focused on the wins and challenges we’ve had working with Discourse. We won’t be talking about “Pavilion” as an organisation.

The plan is to have these “member meetups” on some kind of regular schedule to give everyone a chance to connect with other members over our shared work.

Also, if you haven’t already, have a poke around this category. It’s for everything connected with membership in, and work with, Pavilion.

Is everyone available on Friday at 2019-08-30T12:00:00Z?

1 Like

I am available.

What a coincidence. I was thinking about that just today.

1 Like

I can make it :+1:

2 Likes

All good with me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@members Great! We’re on for 2019-08-30T12:00:00Z.

@Eli On a calendar invite for this, would you mind if we used the calendar integration features of the events plugin instead? I’d like to move away from relying on email / google calendar. You can add the event to your calendar using “Add to Calendar” button or using the site-wide or category ical feed.

1 Like

Yes that works.

1 Like

@Eli @merefield @fzngagan Hey guys, excited for our meetup in 5 mins.

We’ll use this room: appear.in – one click video conversations

2 Likes

Good chat everyone! Was fun catching up. So many exciting things happening!

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks guys, our call on Friday was fun. I definitely like the more casual nature of this call.

I’m going to schedule in another for 1 month’s time. @fzngagan This is actually a use-case for recurring events which we can use to test that feature.

p.s. to easily get the attention of our membership, you can use @members.

p.p.s we have two new categories here in #members:

• #members:ideas - @Eli Proposed we have a place to discuss new and interesting ideas for Pavilion, which I think is great. Any new ideas about what we should do, how we should run things etc, live there.

• #members:meetups - This is the category for our meetups, virtual, and someday soon, in-person as well.

• #members:knowledge - This is for the existing topics in this category, i.e. “How we do things”. Note that #members:ideas is for things we should, could or may do. #members:knowledge is the cannonical place for how we currently run things with the membership.

1 Like

I loved the meetup. It really adds the human flavour to our work. I’ll look forward to the future meetups powered by recurring events.

Its really cool to have these new categories especially ideas.

I would like to add one thing here. We can also have a category for sharing/discussing code related ideas, code snippets, debugging techniques etc. which will help us build stuff faster. Many times, some patterns exist for solving a type of problems which someone from us might have come accross already. So, we can share them there so that the next person facing the same issue doesn’t have to think through it again. Its nearly like github gists on steroids( with natural language support :wink: ).

2 Likes

Yes, I agree :slight_smile: That’s the idea behind #open-source:dev. Does that suit what you have in mind?

1 Like

Hi @angus and the Pavilion team

So sorry I’ve been off-radar for so long, things are gradually getting back to normal this week and next and I should be back to Discourse-y type things soon. I’m still very much interested in being part of Pavilion.

I also think this is a great idea:

2 Likes

Yeah. Oops, I forgot that it exists already.

2 Likes

Welcome back @pacharanero! When you have time let’s catch up on a call and I can fill you in on where we are. Sometime this week?

1 Like

I’m in London today/tomorrow and then working in GP Thursday. I could do Friday?

The good news is I now do only 1 day GP work and from October I have told the practice I currently work at that I will be taking some time away from GP, so I’ll be doing tech stuff every day, so more available for Pavilion.

2 Likes

Cool. @pacharanero let’s chat this Friday at 2019-09-06T07:00:00Z if that works for you? I can bring you up to speed.

1 Like

Yes that day and time works for me.

2 Likes