Pavilion struggling with some long topics

I am unable to see How we communicate - it spins and eventually crashes in my web browser. see screenshot. other pages seem to work fine. (also, uploading this screenshot took a while)

update: just tried in safari and it worked. it’s crashing in chrome Version 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit). javascript console error shows:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 429 ()

Happy to provide more info if you tell me what to look for. it started after I added the date/time in my last post - maybe there’s some bug with that?

Working for me on Chrome Version 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Linux
Also in Brave Version 0.68.132 Chromium: 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) which is my daily driver

Weird

1 Like

great! glad it works for you. still not working for me, sadly. :frowning: just the one topic is crashing my browser so far.

1 Like

Out of curiosity does it work now?

nope. still crashing my browser when I go to that topic.

@tobiaseigen Thanks for the report :+1:

I suspect the issue was related to the fact we’ve been running on the smallest DO droplet (1GB of Ram) and the memory was being maxed out at various particularly when loading larger topics.

I’ve upgraded the instance to 2GB of Ram. Let me know if the issue is still happening.

p.s. Just a minor note for future reference, all bug reports should go through the bug report wizard

2 Likes

Thanks much!

Was not sure actually that the bug report wizard was for site feedback for the pavilion forum. Sometimes collaborating here feels very meta with all the dogfooding going on. :wink:

1 Like

I was assuming dogfooding is something similar to spoonfeeding till I looked it up right now. :wink:

1 Like

Incidentally this problem has not gone away. Just that one topic, and just in chrome on my laptop. On safari and on my iOS phone with chrome no problem.

1 Like

Can you try one more time? Testing something.
Have you tried clearing cache and the like?

I did try it again - same issue. Also in a different profile in chrome, and in incognito mode. Logged out it works fine, but logged in chrome crashes.

I am loathe to clear my browser cache just now because I have alot of time sensitive things going on depending on my browser… maybe this weekend.

Meanwhile, logging in on my phone with chrome or in safari on my laptop works fine to access that topic.

1 Like

The “How we communicate” topic is working for me today in Chrome - not sure what has changed but thank you! :sunflower:

If nothing changed on your end, maybe I resolved this myself by turning my computer off for the first time in a few weeks last night. This morning I turned it on and found myself in the topic with no problems. I feel so empowered! :muscle:

1 Like

Simplicity is the key. :wink:

1 Like

Heh. Still not fully understanding why the old microsoft windoze troubleshooting step always seems to work. And why I tend to forget that step… I guess I am too distracted by the desire to figure out what is going wrong so it doesn’t happen to other people. In this case it seems clear to be specific to my browser though I will never know why.

I faced that issue as well on a self-hosted instance, probably a browser bug:

2 Likes