Hi Angus! If Voice recording plugin - plugin - Discourse Meta is orphaned, do you think it’s a project that pavilion might pick up? Maybe there’s interest in sponsorship.
I wrote to the author but he has not been responsive of late.
Some use cases that interest me:
In the community I manage for my day job, one of our competitors is WhatsApp groups. WhatsApp provides a nifty voicemail ability that is very suitable for mobile and especially mobile in remote places. Our members are always on the go, in rural areas. Being able to leave short voicemail replies to tell stories or ask questions would be very interesting.
On my personal site, I share photos with my family. I’d love to allow people to leave brief voice descriptions of the photos - it can be quicker than writing and is also very personal and potentially of emotional value. We also have regular video conference calls, and it would be really neat to share my screen and look at photos together, and record the conversation we have about them.
The plugin works reasonably well but has some fatal flaws.
- it seems orphaned, no responses from author for many months
- does not work properly on mobile
- does not allow limiting length of recording
- takes a while to save recording, but there is no progress indicator
- the icon to start a recording does not show up properly on the menu (at least on my instance). I also think it might be better to move it to the options menu.