Locations: Add a way to format the address return by OSM

Feature

Add a way to format the address return by OSM

Description

Having a setting (global or per category, but probably global) that would allow to format the address added in the Location Plugin in a similar way as we can format the date and time in the Events plugin.

Use Case

When adding a location to a topic, we display something like that :

Boulangerie Truc, 123, Rue du Maréchal Foch, Le Creusot, Autun, Saône-et-Loire, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France métropolitaine, 71200, France

Which is : Institution name, number on the road, road, the city, the name of an other city we don’t even know why it’s there because we are not administratively depending on it or are we ?, the French small district, the French big disctrict, the fact that we are on Mainland France and not oversea, some ZIP code and finally the country.

Most of it is useless and part of it (the not-that-big-city-next-to-ours) is even confusing.

For most cases, I would rather use a : “Institution, number, road, city, country” format, but I guess other people could chose their own format.

Budget

I think it probably comes down to how specific the addresses need to be in a given community. More specific it is, then the longer/verbose it’s going to be.

Often state/city/principality is specific enough without having an essay in the location field.

Thanks for requesting this. I’m going to schedule it in for later this month.

1 Like