events: Polygon Support in Locations

Feature

Polygon Support in Locations

Description

This adds the possibility to support GeoJSON LineString and other polygons so that we can describe areas.

Use Case

With IN COMMON we want to map disputed zones, e.g., lands that are threatened by land grab or other predatory projects. The idea is to be able to mark a territory and desbribe, e.g., what species live there (tagged topics), eventually with icons (but the main feature needed now is the polygons support, i.e., importing GeoJSON-marked LineStrings for example, from a GeoJSON file, or copy-pasting…)

Budget

500 € (this is an estimate of what we’re able to put now, more or less)

Note: the tag should be #locations not #events

@how thanks for making a request and indicating some financial support is possible.

Could you describe how you envisage the UI for this working a bit more? I.e what would the user input in the add location mods look like?

We should have time to do this in early February, but will confirm

1 Like

Hi @angus

Thank you very much for this response.
I am working with @how both in petites singularités and IN COMMON, where I am taking over the coordination.
The reason we need polygon implementation is to map territory activism. The only example we have of an implementation of polygon in a web interface is U-Map and I think it works quite well.
Having such a possibility in Discourse, would allow us to create conversations about the territories themselves in the IN COMMON project.

Having something similar to U-Map, ideally reproducing the 2 possibilities U-Map offers: draw a polygon and draw a polyline as they exist on the right of the U-Map interface would suffice.

I imagine that these would not be easy to implement directly from the add location menu in the topic, as the interface has to be completely different. It seems easier to go through a second step where the editor would access the map (after having set the location) and would draw the polygons. I do not know if this is the best solution, as it is difficult for me to envision the implication of such an implementation, but this is how I imagine it.

Indeed we do have access to some financing for this feature.